It’s the New Year, and while everyone will soon start struggling to keep up their New Year resolutions, I will share with you 10 steps that help you keep up yours. These 10 steps will help you not only revamp your body, but turn your entire life into a success story.
1. EXERCISING. At the beginning of each day, try to schedule your daily physical activity/workout. Go to your calendar right now and set a time when you can go to the gym, take a run or walk, etc. By adopting this attitude, you’ll drastically increase the chances of working out and establishing a new and healthy routine.
2. EATING. Assess your eating habits. Write down everything you are eating and start eliminating ONE food item/eating habit per week that sabotages your weight-loss goals, no matter how insignificant you might think it is (e.g., a bite of cake, a half cookie, a sip of soda).
3. HABITS. Write down four columns. In the first column, write the foods you are already eating that don’t support your goals, and in the second column, put the healthy food items that will serve as replacements for the unhealthy items. In the third column, you’ll write down each unhealthy habit you might have and then in the fourth column, write the healthy replacements.
4. ENERGY. Expect to feel different. Anything you do that’s different from what you currently do is going to make you feel different. Therefore, don’t panic. If you experience a change in energy level (lower than usual), or even a change in mood (grumpier), it is because your body is already starting to transform. Hang in there; it gets better.
5. COMMITMENT. Write down a checklist of 5 things you need to do to reach your goal every day (example: drink up to 1 gallon of water, eat breakfast, exercise, pack your lunch). Every day, make sure to check at least 3 out of 5 off your list.
6. FOCUS. Take this process very seriously. Put the same energy into your exercise regimen and new lifestyle as you do in your work, relationships, career or any other important area of your life. Add more value to your goals by becoming emotionally attached to them.
7. SUPPORT. Create a support group to help you stay on track. Share your goals with your friends, but also share the importance of achieving them. Don’t just create the group; make sure you are taking advantage of it (call anytime you need help).
8. EXPECTATIONS. Any exercise is better than no exercise. Therefore, don’t worry about how much, or how intense, you should work out. Just make sure you are moving between 30-55 minutes, 4 – 6 times a week. Start at a low-to-moderate pace until you are ready to go at a higher intensity. Patience is a virtue and the secret to achieving your goals. Don’t expect too much too soon from your body.
9. PATIENCE. Take one day at the time. Feel good about your daily accomplishments. Focus on the journey instead of waiting to arrive at a destination. Change happens when you least expect it. There’s a reason it’s called a LIFESTYLE.
10. CELEBRATE. Celebrate every small achievement. Whether you made it to the gym today, or just drank more water than yesterday, these are very good reasons to be proud of yourself. Celebrate by sharing your little victory with your support group.
Follow these 10 steps and I’ll guarantee your New Year’s resolution will become a reality. Good luck!
Leo Frincu is a world wrestling champion, author, speaker and performance coach for business leaders and athletes worldwide. To learn more about his training philosophy, check out his latest book, “WELCOME HOME, 3 Simple Steps On How To Reach Your Highest Potential,” available on Amazon and iBooks.