Today, I did something I’ve never done before. I made the decision to challenge myself to ONE-HOUR BEAR CRAWLS.
You probably think this was just a physical challenge; however, after an hour on my hands, I can definitely tell you that it was a mental challenge, as well. By the end of the hour, these are the two most important things I had learned:
1) YOU CAN’T RUSH. It doesn’t matter how fast you go – an hour is still an hour. In order to improve your performance and yourself, you need to acknowledge what you are going through, no matter the challenge. This hour of bear crawls represents any goal you, personally, may have. Achieving your goals and living your dreams often takes more time and effort than we expect. So, instead of resisting what is happening, learn from it – get into it, rather than struggle to get over it. Acknowledge what are you going through and try to learn as much as you can about yourself.
2) YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT THE PAIN. As the exercise goes on and on, in order to successfully complete this task, you must make peace with pain – because, at some point, you are going to be in pain. Every task, including this one, comes with its share of challenge and discomfort. Make peace with the journey. Make peace with the price you have to pay for bringing your dreams to reality. Make peace with PAIN. Make peace with yourself.
At some point in our lives, all of us want to change how we look, how we feel, how we do things. Change is often uncomfortable and painful. The number one reason most people fail is because they can’t make peace with the discomfort that comes with an all-out effort to actively pursue their goals and dreams.
An hour of bear crawls – besides being a great workout – was also very therapeutic to me. Basically, I was forced to quiet my mind and connect to my body. To complete this task, I needed to acknowledge and accept exactly how I felt.
Moral of the Story:
1) DON’T RUN AWAY FROM WHAT YOU FEEL – WHETHER YOU LIKE IT, OR NOT;
2) ACCEPT WHAT YOU ARE GOING THROUGH – ACCEPT WHAT YOU FEEL;
3) ACCEPT THE JOURNEY – AND, ACCEPT YOURSELF.
Leo Frincu is a world wrestling champion, author, speaker and performance coach for business leaders and athletes worldwide. To learn more about his training philosophy, check out his latest book, “WELCOME HOME, 3 Simple Steps On How To Reach Your Highest Potential,” available on Amazon and iBooks.